This project was undertaken with a different local contractor, who whilst espousing conservation experience while tendering, showed very little of such during the works. A short leash was definitely required here! I'd like to think that by the end of the project, we had taught him a few things.
As before, I was acting as lead consultant and worked closely with the local Conservation Officer to achieve an acceptable result within a reasonably tight budget.
In order to make the cottage a little more habitable, it was decided to knock the two tiny bedrooms into one less small one and remove the badly damaged rear chimney breast/stack and latterly added concrete-floored pantry to create a reasonably sized kitchen/diner.
The estate gardener is due to take up residence shortly.
|The Gatehouse as we found it. Roof and windows leaking badly and some foundation movement.|
|Two of the three chimneys close up. In a very sad state due to weathering and internal sulphate damage (and some very poor previous repairs).|
|The chimney breastwork corbelling from triangular to square within the loft space. Some cracking had us worried about stability, so reluctantly we had to introduce some steel strutting to improve the situation.|
|We were also slightly surprised to find this intact cast iron grate behind the existing plaster. We knew there was a double stack so were expecting to find a fireplace, but not this!|
|Some of the windows were worse than others. Repairs were done in the workshop where possible, but two of the windows had to be fully replaced, like-for-like.|
|We also found this dilapidated brick shed in the garden. The walls were in reasonably good nick so the Client allowed us to bring this back into service too.|
|After lots of digging we found the original brick culvert under the estate access road. This was strengthened with a polypipe liner and the ditches re-dug as part of the estate-wide HLS funded drainage works.|
|Plastering underway. Two-coat lime plaster - scratch coat with hair, finish coat without. Note the matchboarding to the sloping ceiling to match the existing.|
|And finally, the shed brought back to life. Needed some brick stitching and new roof timbers, but otherwise quite simple. Another rarity saved.|